I am thankful for each opportunity I have to share my story regarding the plant-life, so I am sending a huge THANK YOU to Plant Powered Sistas for the feature. Many of you who have been with me for a while know my story but I share a bit more in this article. Read it below and check out Plant Powered Sistas for others plant-based stories and resources.
What started out as a one month fast, turned into a life-style change. I will forever be thankful to Matt at Whole Foods for sharing sound information with my husband and I about living plant-based. In January 2015, we attended his class, researched heavily on our own, and decided we wanted to do what we could to live a long, healthy life together. We wanted our kids to have a quality of life they would not find eating animal based products.
It was important to me to minimize the likelihood of disease and eliminate the chronic pain I was experiencing, along with inflammation. I also wanted to lower my husband’s risk of cancer. Both his parents dealt with cancer, as well as other family members and I wanted his body to be strong, healthy and alive. So for those reasons, we decided – NO MORE MEAT. During the first few months we ate some fish; however, we decided to eliminate that, after realizing seafood was not positively contributing to our well-BEing. Now, we do not eat anything that poops, has eyes, can give birth or have sex (LOL).
I enjoy the versatility fruits, veggies, grains, legumes, and nuts add to my lifestyle. I do not feel deprived by not eating meat and enjoy creating tasty meals with the goodness of creation. We are able to eat pretty much whatever we would like being mindful of the ingredients. Example, if I want ice cream I can throw some frozen strawberries, bananas and dates in the blender and have Strawberry-Banana Nice Cream.
Since deciding to go plant based we have experienced WONDERFUL side effects, including but not limited to,
- weight loss
- enhanced respiratory health
- lower blood pressure and cholesterol
- clearer skin
- minimal PMS (this came with the elimination of meat, sugar and processed foods)
- improved digestion
- stronger immune system
- better-quality sleep
- sharper thinking
- reduction in body odor
- more energy
If there is any advice I would give to others, it would be the following:
- Believe you are worth it. You are worth the effort to change your eating lifestyle. You are worth every dollar you spend to be your best self. You are worth feeling alive because you are eating living foods. You are worth being healthy and whole. (Heck, you are even worth the frustration you may feel at times because it will only make you better!)
- We use GOOGLE for everything, why not use Google for some plant-based research. Read some books about plant-based nutrition. Talk to some people who are successfully living a plant-based life and ask them questions. This is your body, find out what will make it better for the long-term.
- Take it one meal and one day at a time. Don’t beat yourself up if you miss it, just evaluate where you went left and prepare to go right the next time – this is why research is so valuable. Also, it helps to plan meals in advance.
SN: You do not have to feel isolated from others when eating out. Review menus in advance in order to make informed, healthy choices.
I am a wellness advocate and I endeavor daily to educate and be educated about WHOLENESS – mind, body and spirit – and champion with others as they journey to well-BEing.
Social media handles
- IG: khadijah_rbz
- FB: thekhadijahrbz
- Twitter: khadijahrbz